10 August 2011

Deforestation




I decided to enter the Cheltenham Illustration Competition as my final studio project for uni. I really loved the brief, to produce a narrative illustration based on the theme 'Tree Time Tales.' Plus, the winner of the previous year is outstanding, take a look at Jamie Mill's stuff here...he makes me very jealous! And, as an added bonus, Shaun Tan is judging!

I wanted to do something tackling the issue of deforestation, so produced an 8 panel illustration using acrylic and pencil...and a bit of digital collage. I then produced a further three illustrations to accompany the piece for the Brick Lane and New Designers exhibition using hand drawn and digital techniques.

After not really illustrating much for almost a year (due to concentrating on zine, marketing and self promotion, elective and dissertation work) it was really great to tackle a narrative brief with complete freedom over style and medium.


2 comments:

  1. This one is soooo good Carly. I wish someone would write a children's book about deforestation from the animals' perspective and have your illustrations in it.
    Maybe I should?! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely, you should give it a go! x

    ReplyDelete